Licensing and Ventures Manager – Social Sciences and Humanities
Oxford University Innovation Ltd is the highly successful technology transfer company owned by the University of Oxford, commercialising the research generated by the University. Working with over four thousand of the world’s brightest minds, Oxford University helps translate their ideas and expertise into projects that make a tangible difference to businesses, governments and society through licensing and the formation of spin-out and start-up companies.
The Licensing and Ventures Group has an exciting opportunity to work closely with the Social Sciences and Humanities Divisions. We are looking for an individual who can focus on creating sustainable social, economic and commercial impact from the outcomes of the University’s research.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Working with and influencing world-leading academics to create positive impact from University research and expertise
- Building a collaborative relationship with the Divisional Offices and the Business Engagement Team in Social Sciences and Humanities
- Working closely and collaboratively with OUI Consulting Services
- Growing a portfolio of projects and collaborators from the Social Sciences and Humanities Divisions and identifying sustainable commercial strategies to support this portfolio
- Negotiating appropriate licensing contracts, in conjunction with legal experts
- Managing the formation of spin-out companies
- Managing and administering post-deal activity.
The successful candidate will ideally have a PhD in Social Sciences or Humanities (or an MBA or equivalent). A strong background in the commercialisation of IP from Social Sciences or Humanities is preferred. They should also have the ambition to achieve results, along with a commitment to integrity and sound commercial judgement.
- The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate proven competence in:
Grasping new concepts quickly, and translating these into commercially viable proposals
- Working effectively and collaboratively with key stakeholders, and where appropriate showing tenacity and persistence in business development situations
- Deploying excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Successfully negotiating and licensing of commercial contracts with relevant industry sectors
- Working successfully within a close-knit team
- Managing a large portfolio of complex projects to a successful commercial conclusion
How to apply: If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from the Oxford University Innovation website (www.innovation.ox.ac.uk) and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date is midday on Tuesday 16th January 2018
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and is likely to be in the range of £35,000-£42,000
Oxford University Innovation is an Equal Opportunities Employer and accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.