Oxford University Innovation Ltd is the innovation arm of Oxford University, turning world-leading research into globally-impacting reality. Working with over four thousand of the world’s brightest minds, we help them translate their ideas into projects that make a tangible difference to society through technology licensing, the formation of spinout companies, and a number of other activities designed to support entrepreneurship and innovation.
The OUI Investments and New Ventures team is newly formed within OUI and acts as the growth catalyst for companies emerging from Oxford University through early-stage investment and support. OUI Investments team’s main responsibilities include: translational funding, supporting new company formation, fund raising, fund management and portfolio management.
We now have a unique opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Investment Associate to join our team. Reporting to the Head of Investments and New Ventures, the successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge and enthusiasm for university innovation, and possess the right skills to deploy early-stage investment that will help our companies flourish.
The successful candidate will have a business, economics or relevant science degree (or equivalent), and ideally have experience of working in a financial or business environment.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Supporting the management of the translational funds. These funds include the University Challenge Seed Fund, the Oxford Invention Fund and the Parkwalk University of Oxford Innovation Fund.
- Supporting the identification of early stage investors through the Oxford Angels Network. Activities will include liaising with investors, identifying companies seeking funding through the network, managing investor events and identifying new partner organisations.
- Assisting the OUI Investment and Licensing & Ventures teams in the co-ordinating of first round of investments into spinout, start-up and social enterprises.Assisting in managing the portfolio of OUI’s shareholding in start-up companies.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate proven competence in the following:
- Early stage investment – an interest in the UK early stage investment market.
- Communication – A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Relationship with others – The ability to contribute to the newly formed OUI Investments team.
- Data management – Effectively managing data and possession of high levels of attention to detail in all areas of their work.
- Self-starter – The ability to use your initiative to find solutions to problems.
- Commercial analysis – Making considered decisions that demonstrate good analysis of the key issues.
How to apply: If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from the Oxford University Innovation website www.innovation.ox.ac.uk and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date is midday on Tuesday 8th May 2018
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of £30,000 – £33,000
Oxford University Innovation is an Equal Opportunities Employer and accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.