About Oxford University Innovation
Oxford University’s Strategic Plan articulates the University’s vision, “We will work as one Oxford bringing together our staff, students and alumni, our colleges, faculties, departments and divisions to provide world-class research and education. We will do this in ways which benefit society on a local, regional, national and global scale…”
Oxford University Innovation contributes to the University’s societal benefit by working with staff and students to apply their expertise and research. We have a bold vision:
A world-leading innovation ecosystem with Oxford University at its heart.
And our daily activities are guided by our mission:
As architects of creative solutions, we enable the University community to maximise the global impact of Oxford’s research and expertise.
Quick facts about Oxford University Innovation
£30.8m total revenues in 2020 (£18.2m in 2019)
£16.6m returned to Oxford University and its researchers in 2020 (£9.2m in 2019)
19 new companies formed by us in 2020 (23 in 2019)
846 deals in 2020 (1002 in 2019)
4793 patents and patent applications on Oxford inventions managed by us (4312 in 2019)
We changed our name in June 2016, having previously been called Isis Innovation Ltd. Isis Enterprise was renamed Oxentia in April 2017 and became a separate entity in August 2017.
- Oxford University Innovation has joined many other departments within Oxford University in the Green Impact scheme, which is operated by the National Union of Students and the Oxford University Environmental Sustainability team
- Since joining the scheme OUI has received the following awards:
- 2016: Bronze
- 2017: Gold
- 2018: Gold
- 2019: Gold+, Project of the Year (Roots to Success) & Staff Member of the Year (Phil Priest)
- Some of our progress includes:
- 72% recycling rate
- LED lighting throughout the building – saving around £10,000 per year
- Waterless urinals – saving over 300 litres of water a day
- Planting a tree for every successful Spinout, Startup & Social Enterprise launched
We are currently aiming to offset our carbon footprint for all business activities by September 2020.
Green and Clean Technology from Oxford
Many of the projects & patents managed by OUI have had important impact on the improvement of environmental sustainability worldwide, such as:
► Development of a new method of producing H2O instantly from fossil fuels with minimal oxygenated by-products.
► Removal and recovery of contaminants like heavy metals from effluent streams and ground wate
► Development of an improved solar concentrator energy system
► Other environmentally focused technologies available for licencing can be found here
Spinouts supported by OUI continue to contribute towards the environmental sustainability, such as:
► Energy management and monitoring – with Pilio
► Improved hot water tank performance – Mixergy