This Privacy Notice applies to all individuals who engage with Oxford University Innovation Limited (OUI) because:
– they are interested in being business angels or investing in Oxford University spinout or startup companies or projects;
– they have invested in Oxford University spinout or startup companies or projects; or
– they are contacts at organisations who have invested in, or are interested in investing in, Oxford University spinout or startup companies or projects.
Please read this notice carefully. It sets out how we use your personal data and your rights as a data subject.
Collection from you: We collect personal data from you if you have expressed an interest in being a business angel, or have invested in an Oxford University spinout or startup company; or you are a contact at an organisation which has invested in, or is interested in investing in, an Oxford University spinout or startup company or project; and when you update your information or give us further information.
Other Sources: We also obtain personal data from other sources. These sources include:
- Publicly-available information from social networks when you have granted the relevant permissions;
- Publicly-available information retrieved using search engines
- Publicly-available sources such as Companies House, the electoral register, other open government databases and the GMC register;
- Data available through our searches on patent information and market intelligence databases such as Patsnap and Frost & Sullivan.
THE TYPES OF PERSONAL DATA WE USE AND HOW WE USE THEM
The types of personal data we collect and use, the purposes for which we use your personal data, and the lawful bases we rely on to allow us to use your personal data in that way are set out in the table below.
Where the lawful basis is our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, we have also indicated what those interests are.
We may have more than one lawful basis for using your personal data.
|TYPE OF PERSONAL DATA||HOW WE USE THAT DATA||THE LAWFUL BASIS FOR OUR PROCESSING THAT DATA|
|Name, title and address||To carry out identity, anti-money laundering and other checks||Compliance with our legal obligations|
|To provide information about investment opportunities and investments||Our legitimate interests, the University of Oxford’s legitimate interests and the legitimate interests of spinout or startup companies in attracting investment in new spinout or startup companies or projects|
|Email address, phone and mobile number||To provide information about investment opportunities and investments, discuss your interest in those opportunities and maintain contact with you about any investments you have made in new spinout or startup companies or projects||The legitimate interests of OUI and the University in attracting investment in new spinout or startup companies or projects|
|Areas of interest within University of Oxford and investment||To provide information about investment opportunities and investments||Our legitimate interests, the University of Oxford’s legitimate interests and the legitimate interests of spinout or startup companies in attracting investment in the spinout or startup company or project|
|University Director’s register – level of direct involvement with investments||To understand and manage the involvement of individual directors in spinout or startup companies||Our legitimate interests and the University of Oxford’s legitimate interests in understanding which investors are also engaged in management of the spinout or startup companies|
|Information as to the status as an investor (e.g. high net worth individual’, sophisticated investor etc.||To maintain appropriate certification for those receiving financial promotions||Compliance with our legal obligations|
We may share your personal data with:
– anyone we have mentioned when informing you about how we use your personal data, including the University of Oxford and spinout or startup companies and their professional advisors;
– a purchaser of OUI or of our business or any business assets – we may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer(s) and its or their professional advisers and, if our business assets are sold, personal data will be one of the assets transferred;
– any business with which we merge or merge part of our business;
– any company or business which we acquire;
– anyone we engage to process personal data for us, such as the provider of our IT systems. That person will be obliged to use your personal data only for our purposes, to process it only in accordance with our instructions and to have appropriate security measures in place to protect your personal data. For a list of the people we currently use to process personal data for us please email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Data Processing Enquiry’ in the subject line of the email.
– if necessary to obtain advice, to our professional advisers who owe an obligation of confidence to us;
– to law enforcement agencies, if we know of think that you or your employer are/is engaged in any illegal activity;
– anyone, if necessary to comply with any law or regulation and
– anyone, if necessary to enforce our rights or to protect our property or to protect the rights or property of anyone else.