The MSK-HQ was co-produced with patients and clinicians to identify aspects of MSK health important to both. A consensus workshop provided initial domains, and individual items were formulated. Stakeholder acceptability was assessed during a second workshop and a candidate MSK-HQ was then taken forward to quantitative testing in physiotherapy and orthopaedic cohorts (n=570).
The Versus Arthritis MSK-HQ contains 14 items and measures the health status in patients with MSK conditions over the past two weeks
Aims of patient and public involvement
Patient and public involvement and engagement (PPIE) was used to investigate individual symptoms and the health domains. This helped to distinguish which issues were of most concern to those affected by different musculoskeletal conditions.
Impact of patient and public involvement
Using a consensus process, involving key stakeholders, participants successfully identified and prioritised the following key outcomes for inclusion in the MSK-HQ (in priority order):
- Pain severity (in the day and night)
- Physical function (walking and dressing)
- Physical activity level
- Pain interference (with work/daily routine and with social activities/hobbies)
- Difficulty with sleep, fatigue/low energy levels
- Emotional well-being (anxiety and mood)
- Understanding of diagnosis and treatment
- Confidence to self-manage (pain self-efficacy) independence
- Overall impact from symptoms
^ Back to top